Locations of SLIS Alumni
Click here to view an interactive map of where SLIS Alumni live around the world
SLIS Alumni are represented by The Library and Information Studies Alumni Association (LISAA). LISAA facilitates social and professional networking among the graduates of University of Alberta's MLIS, MLS and BLS programs, and encourages these alumni to continue in their support of the School.
LISAA strives to serve three purposes:
- To support the School of Library and Information Studies through special gifts and scholarships.
- To act as a bridge between the current student body and the community of practicing librarians.
- To raise the profile of the School of Library and Information Studies and librarianship by participating in joint event planning with other professional associations, and by honouring distinguished alumni.
LISAA CELEBRATION BRUNCH 2012
LISAA will be awarding Kathleen Pine with the Distinguished Alumni Award, and Chris Nelson will be receiving the Honourary Alumni Award. All colleagues, family, friends and fans of these two individuals are invited to attend the brunch and see them get their awards! Also come to catch up with old SLIS friends and hear the latest exciting news about what is happening at SLIS.
Date: Saturday, September 22, 2012
Time: 11am – 2pm
Location: Henderson Hall, School of Library & Information Studies
- Develop your professional network and help fund social events including the Reunion Weekend Open House Brunch, Partners’ Day/Partners in Education, and the Welcome to the Profession Reception.
- Support outstanding students with donations to scholarships and special project funds.
- Exercise your vote at the Annual General Meeting.
- Honour colleagues with nominations for the Distinguished Alumni Award and Honorary Memberships.
- In the past, alumni have been asked to make an annual donation of at least $25.00 to be a member of good standing in LISAA. Now you may choose the newly adopted lifetime membership, for a one time low cost of $75.00!
Please print off and complete the membership form and send to:
c/o School of Library and Information Studies
3-20 Rutherford South
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2J4
September 1st to August 31st
Scholarships & Awards
Through the distribution of scholarships and awards LISAA recognizes the achievements of SLIS students and alumni.
Each year LISAA awards two scholarships, the first to an entering student and the second to a continuing student.
LISAA also presents two awards, the Distinguished Alumni Award and the Honorary Membership, to honour those who have made significant contributions to the library profession, the School of Library and Information Studies, and/or the advancement of knowledge. LISAA is now soliciting nominations for these awards on a quarterly basis. The deadline for 2012 submissions is June 30, 2012.
Donations to LISAA go to two separate places, and you may designate where you would like them to go:
- Student Scholarships:Your donation allows two deserving students to receive funds to assist their studies however they best see fit. These students become contributing members to the LISAA Executive where they can expand their professional network and develop an early taste for library association work.
- Special Projects: Specialty alumni groups, such as LISAA, cannot make general donations to the Library School. Non-scholarship funds from LISAA must go to meet a special identified need at the School. Most often this is a purchase of equipment. Especially in this technological age, quality computer equipment and tools are essential to exploring possibilities and enhancing creativity. If our future librarians don't have the opportunity to explore and create in school, then they have lost out on a golden opportunity in their career development. Your donations make the purchase of this type of equipment possible.